Sunday, November 30, 2008

Day 14:Part A: Social Networking

G'day World.....

Well its a relief to have completed the 12 modules for 23 things, I have learnt alot along the way and some things I would like to play around with a bit more in the work environment.

Social networking sites like Face book etc I am still not so sure about, Yes it can be fun, yes it makes it easier to contact people. A library presence is good in the virtual world - but how to manage that and working out funding for it could be quite difficult......

Anway I did say in my last blog that I would talk about some net nasties.... (probably my biggest concern with the likes of FACE Book.

Well I set up my facebook account with my real name becuase thats what was advised, I didn't put up a photo of myself, and I kept my Profile details limited..... Ahha I thought no one but work people would ever be able to track me down.... I had figured that even though I had used my real name and my BCC work email address the only way someone could track me down was if they knew I worked for BCC or I invited them to be my friend and I thought that I would have Library staff as friends....

When I got an email from a friend outside of work wanting me to join up with Facebook and/or myspace I let her know that I had an account and It was set up for work purposes explaining to her about 23 things.... I decided though that I would request her to be "my friend" and thought nothing more about it.......

Until about a day after I got a friend request from someone I had not seen or heard of since primary school days and then I got another and another....... people who I at this particular point in time of my life I have no interest in socializing with.... I realised then I had not fully thought out the consqeuences of inviting my first friend outside of work.... because it became obvious that she was finding all her old school friends and becomming friends and then they would see that she was friends with me and therefore send me messages to join them up as a friend.....

I debated for a while over this, becuase I thought do I choose to ignore them, do I choose to block them or do I simply just accept them as friends and see what happens next.................

I did the latter.... because I felt bad when thinking about ignoring their requests.........

Anyway, as it so far turns out I haven't had any real conversations with any of these people just sent them the usual green patch plants and flowers or whatever so their more aquaintances then friends...... and as one of my brother's tried to explain to me.... What does it matter... you can have thousands of virtual friends you don't really have to speak to them...its more of a listing of people you know......................... Therefore so far I have kept the account........

Anyway Face Book nasties comming up in part B

1 comment:

Sleepydumpling said...

I'm so glad you've brought it up and I hope more people who are concerned think about what they are doing and talk about it.

I played with Facebook a lot before I went "public" with it. I found out what it was all about, fiddled around with what I could see and what others could see until I understood it and was happy about it. But then I have nothing to hide, so I just keep the identity stuff private (you know, birth dates, phone numbers, email addies).

I have been a MySpace user for a few years now and have a LOT of people I have never met as my friends there. I've never had a bad experience and I travelled all through the US meeting people I only knew through MySpace, and had no hassles there either. I guess it's all about using your common sense and instinct.

As for people contacting me on Facebook from my past, I have no qualms at all about hitting the "ignore" button! Sometimes I get a perverse enjoyment from it!